Home has never been sweeter!
We were able to bring Jay home several days early if we were willing to administer the remainder of the IV antibiotic ourselves. He was so anxious to come home that I said, "No problem, I can totally do that" (Ahhhhhh.....that is the sound of my mental scream, I am pretty squeamish about medical stuff). Since he has a central line (more about that here) it is pretty simple to do, no needles involved.
This is a picture of the day the line was installed. Those tubes coming out of his chest are what we will be working with. The line is tunneled under the skin and goes directly to his heart.
The procedure requires a saline flushing of the line, then connecting the antibiotic, flushing the line again and then putting a drug called heparin in the line to keep the blood from clotting. A home health care nurse stopped by to train us today. I totally got this! (as long as I don't see any blood and pass out). Jay, you have nothing to worry about, you are in good hands (because your sister Donna is going to do this for you).
Being home has been the best medicine for Jay. He has been able to sleep without interruption and truly relax. He got outside twice today (with his mask) and walked around the circle. It is such a dramatic improvement from just a few days ago.
It has been two long weeks since the transplant and we are so happy to have a little bit of normal again!
Step by step,
Lynn
Yay, so glad he is able to be home there is nothing quite like the comfort of your own home💟
ReplyDeleteSo true Amber!
ReplyDeleteHi Lynn. This is Steve Bollinger. I know Jay through AFW. I am so glad to hear of his progress. Please let him know that he is in my thoughts and prayers and if there is ever anything that I can do for him, please let me know.
ReplyDelete