Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Collection Day Part II

These days are all starting to sound the same.

At the clinic at 7 am for the blood draw and then waiting for the results.

The tech hooks up Jay to the machine that will collect the cells and we wait for the ok from the doctor, then the hours long procedure begins.

But today we got a special surprise.  Two of Jay's daughters, Amber and Ginger, stopped by to spend a little time with us!

While Amber was with her Dad I got to take her son Mason to the museum.  I think I got the best end of that trade!  We just happened to find an exhibit on Stem Cells and Mason helped me put together a model.



Who knows?  Maybe his will be the generation that will find a cure for cancer.



The collection and follow up was done by around 2 pm and we went home to wait for the results and find out if we are done with collection.

We got the call around 5 pm with the official stem cell count; 4.69 million cells were collected on the first day and 4.2 on the second.  If my math is right thats 8.89 million (Yes I used a calculator for that and yes I really am an accountant).  We are short of the 10 million minimum that his doctor originally set, so he was instructed to head back up for a shot at 9 pm and we would be back in tomorrow at 7 am for another collection.

Drats!

But we didn't have too long to be upset about it.  Jay got a call back about an hour later and several of the doctors reviewed his case and determined that enough had been collected.  So, we can move Stem Cell Collection over to the "Been There, Done That" column.

Step by step we'll get there,

Jay & Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment