Monday, October 19, 2015

Will the Real Diagnosis Please Stand Up?

The call came early the next morning.  Lab reports indicated that the tumor was a Plasmacytoma, an early indication of none other than Multiple Myeloma.





We met with Dr. Miles at IMC later on in the week and she delivered the news with clarity and compassion.  This was a cancer of the plasma cells.  The messed up plasma cells collect in the bone marrow and can do all kinds of evil things to bones and kidneys.  The disease is considered incurable, but it responds well to chemo and radiation.  There is a lot of hope for slowing the progression and having many symptom-free years.


We felt that we had just won the cancer lottery!  It had been caught early and we had a running head start.  Yes, it is cancer, and a serious kind of cancer, but it was not the devastating diagnosis we had feared just a few days earlier.  

Driving home from the hospital I was contemplating the effect cancer would have on us, our families and was generally in a pretty serious state of mind when Jay hit me with this random thought....

"Do you think Dr. Miles has ever considered breast augmentation?"
(Did I mention she was a female Dr?)
              "Are you kidding me?"

"Ya, she had absolutely nothing upstairs."

             "Really?"

"It was impossible not to notice.  Didn't you notice that?"

             "No, actually I was paying attention to that cancer thing she was talking about."

"Well, I'm just trying to be helpful.  I feel bad for her, I wonder if she knows they can do something about that."

              "Probably not, maybe you should let her know."

Yes, this is a picture of a flat board
.....and that's my Jay.  A cancer diagnosis was not going to change all the things I love about him.  One of the things I love best is his ability to take a difficult situation and not let it get the best of him.  He always figures out a work-around and this problem would be no different.  What ever would be, would be, and it would be all right.

Maybe we had won first prize in the ugly contest, but we are counting this as a win.  So far the score is:

The Woods :  1
Cancer:  0

Step-by-step, we'll get there.

Lynn









No comments:

Post a Comment